Saturday 30 June 2007

SP Contest #8: Three yarns I would love to try

The very last SP contest asks ask three yarns I'm dying to get my hands on. Because I am greedy, I want all the yarn, but I made an effort to narrow it down.

1. Everyday(ish) yarn I would most like to try: Blue Sky Alpaca. I have heard lots of good things about this one, and many of my favourite designers use it in their patterns. I'd happily try any in their range, although the Royal alpaca and the alpaca silk are especially tempting. The organic cotton looks like it would be brilliant for summer, also. However, at £6-7/skein, it's still pricy enough that I should wait till my birthday before I splurge. Runner up in this category: RYC Cashsoft (which also has to benefit of being a bit cheaper).

2. Material I would most like to try: bamboo. There are several summer projects that I'm sure would be wonderful in bamboo, and I'm very interested in experimenting with this fiber. I'm looking at the lovely RYC Bamboo Soft bamboo or the more budget Sirdar Just Bamboo. Runner-up fiber: linen.

3. Yarn I will never, ever buy myself unless I win the lottery: Tilli Tomas. It looks luscious. The colours are deep, the yarn is luxurious, and the various sequins/beads/crystals add a wonderful touch of glitter. However, at over £20 a skein, it would cost at least £200 to make one top. I suspect this one will stay on the "I can dream" list for quite some time. Runner up luxury yarn: Cherry Tree Hill.

Now, it's back to the Summertime Tunic. I finished up the back yesterday and only have the front to complete. Hopefully, I can finish it today so I have a legitimate reason to post again later -- and thereby avoid falling afoul of the SP10 4 posts per month rule.

No comments: