Monday 30 April 2007

Secret Pal Contest: Oldest Yarn in Your Stash


To be fair, I've only been knitting for five months, so my stash doesn't have much of a history. Even so, as sad yarn goes, this one is a doozy. Isn't she a beauty, in all her salmon pink glory?

This is only the second skein I ever bought. The first was a chunky blue wool. I bought it with a pair of 10mm needles with the plan of making a scarf. Instead, I got ambitious, started learning stocking and rib stitch and practicing increases and decreases, and the end result was that I made something resembling a blue whale far more than a scarf.

Thrilled with my success, I ran out to my tiny local crafts shop. This shop only carries acrylics, but I didn't even know what that meant at the time. It was yarn! That was good enough, right? This one was on sale, and I was quite certain I could make something fabulous from it. Yes, only five months ago I believed I could make something beautiful from one skein of salmon pink acrylic. Ah, I was so young and naive, back in those distant days of 2006.

None of that, of course, explains the current state in which the yarn finds itself. These days, my yarn is carefully stored in one of my dressers. Three drawers of my dresser, to be exact. At that time, I stored it carefully in...plastic bags. Ahem. Now, one day, I returned home to find half of it laying on the floor, one long strand trailing behind it. I followed that strand up the stairs, to the landing, around the corner and up the rest of the stairs to a rather exhausted looking pile of pink fuzz.

Through careful investigation, I have narrowed down the potential suspects and believe I have found the culprit. Would you trust this cat?



Some day, perhaps, I will get rid of this yarn, but at the moment I have quite a soft spot for this pink mess.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Such a beautiful kitty! I love her markings.