Tuesday 3 April 2007

Sahara

I love this pattern. Love it. Okay, the provisional cast on was a beast, and it never properly unzipped when I needed to release the stitches, but that's a small enough thing, and nothing a sharp pair of scissors couldn't fix. The rest of it has been a pure joy. There is an awful lot of stockinette, but with enough increases, decreases, and joins to make it interesting. I already want to knit it again.

About a week and a half in, and it's just past the waist decreases and has been joined in the round.


I did another two and a half inches last night after taking the photo. This is my first time knitting in the round, and I'm loving how quickly it knits up once it's joined. If I was a normal sized woman, I'd already be on to the hip increases, but I'm an Amazon, so I'm going to add another inch and a half before starting those.

The most satisfying part was taking it off the needles last night for its first try-on. It fits! It fits! No frogging necessary! The neckline seems a bit worryingly low at the moment, but the lace detailing should sort that out. Sadly, there will be no knitting today. I had to leave it off the needles for easier packing -- Sahara is about to go to Turkey with me. It's been such a good knit, it earned that adventure.

The yarn is Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran in Forest, and it really is a luscious forest green, richer than in the picture. It's certainly not hurting my enjoyment of this knit. I'm really rather giddy about how well this came together. Knitty giddy, a very special state.

2 comments:

Kate said...

That yarn is gorgeous - and all the stockinette is just showing the sheen.

Are you planning to use any of the beaded yarn for the lace detailing?

Marcia said...

I don't have any beaded yarn, nor can I afford it at the moment! Perhaps I will see how this one turns out, and make a fancier version if I do decide to try it again.