Sunday 30 September 2007

Knitting News

Sadly, the camera is down for my weekly post, but I dare not wait to post, lest I fail to meet the SP11 four posts a month requirement. I'm actually a bit worried that I have to try so hard to make four a month.

It's been a very slow week, as my wrist started hurting a bit last weekend. And kept hurting. I tried doing a row or two a night on Trapeze, but couldn't manage any more than that. I couldn't even mark my students' papers! Okay, that last bit wasn't so bad, but I was definitely getting worried when I went into the doctor on Friday. I could not have repetitive stress! As someone for whom knitting and computing are two primary hobbies, this was not an option.

The doctor immediately felt both wrists and figured out that one was much hotter than the other and clearly had an inflammation of some kind. Apparently, there is some complicated tendon thing whose name I already forget, and he was pretty sure I was in the early stages of that. A simple course of anti-inflammatory drugs over the next ten days should clear it up.

Fortunately, it was already feeling so much better last night that I sat down with Trapeze and promptly put it aside. I'm a bit sick of the never-ending rib at the moment, and because the pattern is written as a slow transition from 2x1 to 3x1 rib, I can't even go into auto-pilot, because I have to constantly check that I'm following the pattern. Instead, I wound an old skein of Rowanspun chunky and started swatching. A couple of hours later, I had an Urchin. It's a very clever pattern, and extremely quick. The end result was fairly rustic, but I like it. I'm not sure that it's actually flattering on me, but it was so nice to just churn out a piece of knitting in a night, rather than toil for weeks and then wait another month or two before I finally get around to weaving in the ends. It was a lovely bit of instant gratification. Photos will follow shortly.

No comments: