Sunday 2 September 2007

An FO! No, really!

Okay, I finished knitting this back in June, which means I've waited so long that I can scarcely remember the details. I'll do my best.

The summertime tunic is really done.

Yarn: Elann Sonata in gold colourway
Skeins: Just over six
Size: M
Needle size: 4mm
First time: Using whip stitch, adding non-yarn part (in this case, satin ribbon)

It was such an easy pattern that there is little to say about the process. I deliberately made it a size smaller than I would normally wear, figuring that the blouson tunic effect would not be especially flattering, as it would cover the few curves I have up top and completely disguise my waist. It's hard to say if this was the right call. It's definitely more of a tank than a tunic.

I'm not crazy about the placement of the straps. I don't have a single bra with straps that wide, so I have the choice of deliberately exposing the straps (is there a point where one gets too old to do that?) or going without, a dangerous proposition with any knitwear, and even more so here, where the front gapes whenever I bend over, unless I tie the straps so tight they start to pinch. Plus, there is a definitely a point where one is too old to go into the village with the ever-classy 'nips ahoy' look.

It is extremely comfortable, and I'll be sure to wear it around the house, but I seriously doubt this top will ever see it past my front door.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Victoria's Secret has a bra that has adjustable straps and it also comes with a set of clear ones. That might be an idea for you.