Tuesday 15 May 2007

Secret Pal Contest #5: My fave knitting spot

Secret Pal 10 asks the question: What is my favourite knitting spot?

Well, I don't really have a fave spot, in the sense that I have created a specific environment that nurtures my knitting and best allows me to relax and enjoy the craft. I don't seem to have a house set up for such an ideal spot, Instead, I do my knitting where I do most of my activities: in bed. I wish my life were as dirty as that sentence makes it sound.

There are several factors that contribute to this. Firstly, I am deeply, inherently lazy, and I do enjoy a proper lie-in. Also, I live in a large and very drafty house, and the downstairs rooms tend to be freezing all winter long. In an effort to keep my heating bill down and my feet warm, I am likely to be found wrapped in my duvet from October through April. Plus, I am no good at simply sitting in chairs. I have to fidget, change positions, stretch out. The bed just allows more room for my natural restlessness. Yes, I am both lazy and restless, often at the same time. It's an odd state to be in, I assure you.

I have created an entire office around my bed. I mark my papers there. I watch television. I work on my computer. Occasionally, I even sleep. And, yes, I knit. Sometimes I sit up in bed, often with a cat on my lap. Sometimes I hunch over, in a variation of yoga's child's pose, often with a cat on my shoulders. When I am being properly lazy, I even lie on my stomach, propped up on two elbows, often with a cat on my back. It's not always comfortable, but it gets the job done. This also explains why everything I make contains copious amounts of cat hair.

Someday, I will create my fantasy knitting environment. It contains a separate study, with bookshelves lined with baskets of yarn on every shelf (and a few books, of course). I will have a chaise longue, the perfect cross between a chair and a bed, where I can stretch out and still have back support. It's a red chair, by the way. I'm pretty sure of that. There, I will knit in peace and comfort. Except for the cats climbing on me at all times, of course. Some things will never change.

No comments: