Saturday 12 May 2007

FO: Sahara

At long last, she is done!

Here she is in repose:


And in action:


Yarn used: Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran in 008 (Forest), 11 balls
Needles: 4mm for the body and 3.25mm for the ribbing.
Time to complete: Well, I started it at the end of March, but I took many weeks off for various reasons. This was probably 1.5 weeks of serious knitting.
Size: L, though my gauge was a bit off and it's likely somewhere between an L and XL. I know you're supposed to get exact gauge, but I'm a rebel that way.
Pattern adjustments: I added a few increases at the hip, which proved unnecessary in the end, as it is now a bit loose in the hips, though not badly so. I also lengthened it a bit between the neckline and the hip increases. I probably should have taken it in more at the waist. Right now, it has a loose, comfortable fit, and it's meant to be more body conscious.
First time: knitting in the round, doing k3tog tbl (and that's one to avoid if at all possible), knitting backwards (learned in order to avoid k3tog tbl), using a provisional cast-on

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. The neckline ended up a bit off -- it's supposed to be straight, and mine is doing an inverted V, despite my best blocking efforts. I don't think it's an obvious error, though, unless you know the pattern (of course, considering how many people are knitting Sahara these days, most knitters could spot that in a second). I suspect I needed to compensate for my longer form a bit more by making the top longer from the shoulders through the neckline. I would definitely consider knitting this again, either as a summer top in a lighter yarn or with sparkly contrasting yarn for the hem, sleeves and neckline. Not for a little while, though. I need a new challenge.

Still, my first wearable garment is completed! Hurrah!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Doode. This is gorgeous, and you did an amazing job. And any problems you had with tension don't seem to be an issue now - it looks fabulous.

And yay! New project now!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you have not seamed up the neckline fully to make it straight. The seam should be between the two diamond ribbed sections of the neck. This seam can be as long or short as you like, but to have the neckline be straight it needs to have some seamage.